Sunday, November 29, 2009

She said, "Meet me out back when you're done with your show and I'll let you dump all your dreams down into my throat."

With shows, a holiday, work, shows, and work, I'm a little exhausted and really should be sleeping, but I feel it my duty to inform you of the CD that's keeping me awake and singing instead of letting me drift off into peaceful dreamland. This week that honor goes to Chicago's Ike Reilly (Blog/Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/YouTube) and his new album Hard Luck Stories.

Purchase: Amazon/iTunes

I first learned of this record through another blog that I read regularly, songs:illinois, and was drawn to the post not because of Reilly, but because of Shooter Jennings. The song was The War on the Terror and the Drugs (Download for free from Rock Ridge Music below) and it's a duet between the two that goes back and forth telling a story with the most beautifully subdued raunchy lyrics (See post title above) that I have heard in a song in a long while. Still, call it what you will, this country-ish, kind of bluesy number got my attention, so, last Monday, I downloaded the rest of the album - not really knowing what to expect seeing as how I've never really been into Ike Reilly.

I am now.

Non stop now, for seven days, it kicked My Roaring 20's out of my car's CD player, every chance I get to listen to the whole album or even just a part of it, I take it. I'm addicted to Mr. Reilly's stories, his voice, his way with a guitar and his even better way with words. I like the topics he covers, love, war vets, drugs, family, murder, and fun (not necessarily in that order or in just one song) and the way he does it with coming right out and saying it. Check out Girls In the Backroom and The Reformed Church of the Assault Rifle Band if you need clarification for my words.

And, though I fancy myself a word-smith, a lover of lyrics if you will, what really keeps me coming back is the music itself. Part of it may be the week (more on that later) but I'm really liking the blues notes in a lot of the songs. When paired with either a country strum or loud rock riff, it adds a lot of dynamic that many other artists with never catch and it meshes beautifully with Ike's sometimes Dylan-light voice. See Morning Glory and Good Work for more on that point.

Really, the stand out track above them all, in my opinion (Which are like assholes, I know), is The Ballad of Jack and Haley and, like most of the songs, it tells another story. This one is about a single father who grows weed in his basement to help make ends meet. In no time the daughter's school smells the weed on her, calls the cops, and Haley ends up with her aunt and Jack ends up in Stateville. The keep in touch, rarely talk about the past, and Jack promises to return to Haley so he can grow her another "indoor garden". Reading it out like that, the song sounds a little morally reprehensible, but, when played, it comes off as something much different, much sadder, and a real thought provoker into the world of drugs and the way our country chooses to handle the subject.

If you don't want to spend ten bucks to buy this, spend one and get this song.

Then spend nine more and get the rest of them.

In live shows of days not so long since passed:

The Righteous Hillbillies once again out did themselves in a performance that was attended by a who's who of the local music scene, including Brendan Loughrey and John Condron. But the real show stealer (and reason for my current blues indulgence) was an appearance (he actually stole my stool) and little performance by T-Bird Huck, who, if you haven't heard of him and love the blues, check out his CD here. With him and the Hillbillies playing together the room became filled with some absolutely insane hybrid of southern rock, country, rock & roll, and blues, all at the same time. It's a crying shame, but I don't think anyone filmed any of this. Though, it will live on in legends.

Not to be outdone, Chicago Farmer showed up two days later with his usually stories and sing-alongs, and had the crowd in a frenzy. I mean frenzy. They wouldn't let him finish his set, so he put the mic and amp aside, stepped off the stage with his guitar, and surrounded by people, led the whole bar through some more sing-alongs. Let's see you get that with Adam Lambert, well that without a performance of simulated oral sex.

That's never going to happen.

This is not only wrong, but it's really kind of stupid. This is pseudo-maturity. This will bring nothing but undesired consequences. What will become of our games and fun when this ridiculous experiment of yours is done?

----------------
Download: Ike Reilly - The War on the Terror and the Drugs

No comments: